4.17.2014

In the Garden: V.1


Something about vegetable gardening gets me all giddy. We planted a chunk of our vegetables last Sunday and these picture were taken one week later. It never ceases to amaze me how fast they grow. Even just in the span of 8 hours. It is still too cold to let these guys out into the greenhouse so for now my living room has been taken over. I have never documented my growing so I'm to use my blog as a way to track my garden this year on top of starting a garden journal. I also started a little garden box that keeps my seeds safe and garden stuff all together. Here is some unsolicited advice if you are new to gardening:

- Don't be afraid to start from seed. It is way more economical and can be re-used the next year if you have leftovers.
- Soak your seeds in a bowl of water overnight before you plan to plant them.
- Read the package. Different seeds need to be started in different depths and soil types.
- Water them!!
- Don't do it all at once. If you are starting early, not everything needs to be planted at the same time. Do a some one weekend and a few more the next. Wait until it's warm enough outside for shorter growing season plants. Gardening is no fun when you are stressed out trying to get everything planted in one go. I wont even bother to start carrots, parsnips, onions, and potatoes until the end of June.
- Read up on what works in your area. I have tried a few things that just can't work in my area. Even though cabbage and broccoli grow nicely they tend to attract bugs and I don't have time to babysit them constantly. It's just not worth it to have these in my garden. I am trying turnips for the first time this year which are notorious for pests in Alberta but I am going to try companion planting it with hairy vetch. That plant supposedly harbours good bugs that eats the bad ones! We will see how that goes!

Happy Gardening!

Cucumber


Spaghetti Squash


Marigolds 


Green Zucchini


Yellow Zucchini


Corn


Cucumbers stretching for the light


Cucumbers


Marigolds


Tomatos



Living room set up. Its doesn't seem like that much space is taken up even though we have 115 marigolds, 64 corns, 8 tomatoes, 32 squash, 32 cucumbers, 64 zucchinis, and 8 pumpkins.

8 comments:

  1. My dining table has been taken over by seed pots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! In fact i don' t like spending time in garden at all but my mum loves it. She is buying flowers all the time and now my garden is beautiful! Amazin photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool, I want to start doing that! :)

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this post. Thanks for the gardening tips, Shy.
    I can't wait to grow more seed now :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW, you have an amazing garden in-the-making over there! It's so exciting to see these little babies grow, isn't?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool you have those inside! It looks lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post! Makes me instantly want to garden. I think I still have some room for more plants, just a path from my door to the bed should be enough right? Lovely photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...