5.27.2014

Resolutions V.5 - Pottery

Here are the first of the fruits of my labour in pottery class. All these items were hand built. Hopefully my first things from the wheel will be done soon. 

Ring Dish

I find glazing to be the scariest part of the pottery sequence. Even though there are samples, you never really know what your final product will come out like. I used what was supposed to be a dark blue for the rim and middle pattern on the ring holder but over the white it came out more brown. I still like it though but its a bit nerve-racking hoping your final product will come out like you envisioned it.










Salt Cellar

I love how my little salt cellar turned out! As it was near Easter we learnt how to make a hollow "egg" but I knew we weren't going to be getting them till many weeks after the holiday so I turned my egg into a salt cellar and made a little matching spoon. The glazing turned out to be a bit splotchy but I think it's adds to the charm.






Hanging Planter

I added one of my wee marigolds for editorial purposes here. I actually made a set of two, the other one being much smaller, and am going to get some small cacti to plant in them. In the excitement of making my first pots I forgot to add a drainage hole... oops!



Plant Markers

Before you glaze your pieces you have to paint the bottom and sides with wax so the glaze doesn't stick to the bottom and wreck the kiln. As you can see by the non-uniform colour I am bad at painting the wax! I essentially got it all over the place! To create the pattern I used the clay roller with a rubber mat that had a wood grain pattern over top. I pressed in alphabet soup letters to make the words. Once they went into the kiln the pasta burnt away and left the words!



13 comments:

  1. I love ALL of these!! I dream of making pottery...I also applaud you for following through with your resolutions:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! it was so much fun you should definitely try it out!

      Delete
  2. Wow, amazing! I wish I could do such things, pretty and useful :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you definitely can! Pottery is so relaxing!

      Delete
  3. oh shy! you are such a talented girl. these are the cutest handmade pottery i have ever seen..
    ♥♥♥it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shy!! Love the planter and the salt cellar, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the salt cellar is my favourite as well!

      Delete
  5. These are absolutely gorgeous! Well done, Shy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, you made these?! They are all ridiculously awesome... I especially love the salt & hanging plant. Want!! <3 And thank you for the encouraging words... can't wait to share my templates/career venture!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The planter is SO CUTE, with drainage holes or not.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...