9.04.2014

Wedding Thought On: Photography

source

Photography

Oh, Photography.... What am I going to do with you! In all honestly this has been the hardest thing to come to an agreement on in my own head. I have looked at every single photographer in Newfoundland. Let me tell you, there are some amazing ones!! .... Amazing ones that quite simply we can't afford. The cheapest photographer whose style aligns with mine that I can find is $1258 for 4 hours...




Don't get me wrong. I completely understand the amount of work and talent that wedding photography entails. I fully realize that the 4 hours this photographer is giving me brings with it experience, professional gear, travel, and countless hours of editing. But with a total budget set at $3000, how can I justify 42% of that budget going to photos that (let's face it) will be tucked away in a wedding album for my lifetime. I have tried for many weeks now and I just can't. David is fine with anything so I have decided to do DIY photography. 
First I broke down what was really important to me.

- A few photos of the ceremony.
- Photos with everyone in our extended families (and David's is really extended!).
- Photos with the wedding party.
- Not spending hours with the photographer at multiple locations but spending time with my friends and family.

This would require maybe 2 hours of a wedding photographers time if we stuck to the exterior church for all the group photos. No photographers are willing to do this (understandably) as it's a bit of a waste of a whole day for them! 

Plan B: My camera, remote, tripod, and a willing guest.

Some poor guest will be given my camera for the church. Any photos will be fine, really.

Next up is setting the camera and tripod up outside the church and create a photo/receiving line. Family, friends, wedding party, bridesmaids, grooms men, mothers, everyone and the kitchen sink! Since the hall is just across the street and we will only have an hour between ceremony and dinner I thought it would be a great way to thank everyone for coming personally and get some photos of us with everyone as they mosey over the road for drinks. Since we are only having about 50 guests it wont be too daunting.

Wedding day photography complete.

Added Bonus

Sometime in the days after the wedding I thought it would be fun if David and I got dressed back up in our wedding gear for the day and go on a day trip around the Avalon Peninsula with my tripod and camera tagging along again. It's obvious on this blog that we enjoy doing this anyway so we will have an extra wedding adventure and take photos of our fancy duds all over without the added stress of cramming it in on the day! I've set up a pinterest board with wedding photos that I like so we can go about our day with a bit of a plan. I absolutely love the foggy days there so hopefully we can plan to go for our photo trip on one of those days!

source


Alot of friends have said I am going to regret not having all the fancy photos of the wedding day but I think my little plan will give me the best of both worlds. What do you think? Is DIY photography a bad choice?

source

8 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a bad choice at all, it's your wedding so you do you ;) I'm still slowly working my way through which things I'd like to DIY and which things we will hire professionals for. We're also on a tight wedding budget so it's tough, but hey, most important thing is that we get married at the end of the day right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I am thinking! A few photos and a great day is all I need!

      Delete
  2. Ah I can relate to you.... although I'm not engaged I know that photography will be the hardest decision of my entire wedding (maybe even over my dress ha!) As someone who shoots weddings I just want to give you a warning that getting the family photos together can be quiet crazy. Designate a bridesmaid, groomsmen, or MOH (or anyone!) to be in charge so you don't have to turn into bridezilla :) In advance go over who you specifically want photos with, how your camera works, etc. Maybe do a prep shoot? Best of luck to you darling!! I love the idea of doing a day after shoot just the two of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was tough because I really do appreciated great photographers but I just couldn't justify it in the end! I will definitely be designating someone to keep the flow moving. We are having more of a pub style hangout after the dinner. Some music, pool tables, a few drinks, nothing formal. So grabbing photos with people can carry on into that as well!

      Delete
  3. To me having a professional there is definitely worth it. But maybe that's because I love photography? I know I'll keep looking at these photos, I'm not just going to tuck them away in an album. After it's all said and done, 30 years from now, the pictures are the only thing I'll have left from the wedding (besides, obviously, marriage). But if that's not as important to you as other aspects of your wedding then do the DIY thing! Whatever makes you happy is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's been the hardest thing to decide on!! We will have fun the next day out with our tripod though!

      Delete
  4. Nothing captures love better than "manufactured moments".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what you are talking about? Wedding photography in general or just us taking photos the next day?

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...