4.30.2015

In the Garden: Herbs


My first garden post of the year! I feel like we've been behind in gardening but last year we learnt that we started everything too early the hard way. Nights here still dip down to 0C or below until the end of May so starting our veggies on April 7th last year (I remember the exact date...) was too early. About a month too early. They suffered acclimatizing to the cold nights even in the greenhouse. Everything recovered and became extremely viable but it was sad to see my poor plant-babies looking like they had died. Full disclosure: I may get too attached to my plants. 

Since I was antsy to get some seeds in soil, I started up my herbs. This year we bought a little plant light to help them along as well. Another bonus is that I can grow my herbs all throughout those dark winter months now! Last year I put them in a large trough-type planter but it ended up being annoying to get to on our little balcony. I opted for single pots this year and planted my favourites: cilantro, dill, basil, and garlic chives. 

Planting gets me so excited. The first thing I do when I get home from work is to go check out how much they've grown. What are you planting this year?







Below is my crocus that up and died on me! I thought he would be happier in dirt than in just a jar of water. Boy, was I was wrong! 



And one week later:



1 comment:

  1. your gardening photos are so inspiring! i think i will plant some herbs too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...